Monday, February 11, 2008

Tricky Interviews

First, I read the article about illegal interview questions. I thought it looked interesting because I didn't even know there was such a thing as an illegal interview question. Questions regarding race, age, gender, ethnicity, are all considered illegal. I thought the article was very helpful because it didn't tell you to report them or overreact. I can't imagine that the majority of interviewers would ask an illegal question on purpose. I thought the story of the woman asking the interviewee what her name meant was completely harmless and shouldn't even be considered an illegal question.
I also read the article regarding emergency situations in interviews including being tardy, stumped by a question or forgetting the interviewer's name. I think being stumped by a question is always a possibility in an interview so it's important to know how to react. As much as I'd like to be able to take a second by saying "that's a good question" I'm still pretty sure some um's and uh's would make their way in there. Forgetting someone's name is also a big habit of mine so I think you just have to accept that you made that mistake, apologize and continue on with the interview. I think it's important to just be as prepared and relaxed as possible and if mistakes still happen, don't sweat it.

No comments: